Being Deaf, an immigrant straight out of Hong Kong, and small in stature did not stop Sheena McFeely from being who she is today. An author, a creator, and a motivational speaker. Sheena has been featured on The Nate Berkus Talk Show, a viral sensation Disney commercial, and A&E’s TV pilot Deaf Out Loud. On top of everything, She produced as well as directed videos which have reached over millions of hits including 10 Deaf Children, 1 Powerful Message and ASL Nook. Sheena’s works have received acclaims from media such as Kickstarter, Austin Woman Magazine, UpWorthy, The Huffington Post, Mental_Floss, Deaf People, and Ability Magazine. All in the name of authentic representation, awareness, and equality of Deaf people.
Ultimately, Sheena is a proud Deaf woman who believes that talking gets you nowhere, doing does.
Silence is not Golden
Witness what made Sheena such a driven creator and an advocate despite the mountains placed in front of her. The villains that became her teaching moments. The heroes who build each fiber of her being. How her victories and losses shaped her hoods - Deafhood, womanhood, and motherhood. Breaking the ingrained rules, Sheena threw out the old assumptions about our Deaf community through interviews, a talk show, viral commercial, viral PSA, and most recently, documentary.
- Understand the width and depth of media’s influence
- Learn from Sheena’s tribulations and success in the world of media
- Act on the stories and tools Sheena gives to reframe the local media
Ethics of Interpreting
Ethics has been debated for centuries in all disciplines and places across the world. What does it really mean? Does it stay stationery or does it evolve with changing needs and experiences over time? Sheena as a Deaf person has experienced countless situations ranging from educational to medical to entertainment settings. Learn some of the more unique ethical dilemmas we face today in this ever changing world.
- Understand and value the importance of the Deaf community’s evolving ethics
- Learn from Sheena’s and her colleagues’ real world experiences along with the ethical implications
- Discuss among peers to gain further insights on what may or may not be ethical